Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Silent Night

Hype.
 (hp) Slang n.
Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion
...at least on the Upper West Side.
Yesterday, I waited in line at the West Side Market for damn near half an hour. I entertained myself by checking out the apocalypse snack picks of those in line with me. Microwaveable vegetables (you know, because you can always thaw them out to eat them if you lose power.), $7 chocolate bars, water bottled in glass, and lots of cheese and crackers. My Nana Nina's fabulous Upper West Side apartment had already been stocked fully earlier in the morning, but I went to put a couple of finishing touches on the Sandy stash. Everyone was stocking their places like they'd be forced to hibernate until Thanksgiving. One woman in line even recommended to me that I fill my bathtub in case something happens to the water, "you know. In case you need to flush your toilet."
I cooked enough eggplant parmesan for a small army, in case we lost power and couldn't cook for a few days. Today, we put towels in the windows and closed all the blinds. We even hit the store again, bringing back an ultra-excessive spare bag of groceries apiece. The weather report has been going in the background all day. It looks awful. Truly! I can't imagine what it's like for those losing their homes and businesses right now. For those waiting in the dark to find out the damage.
Really. I can't imagine.
Because all I can say about my condition right now? I'm watching the TV while using my laptop, drinking a glass of wine, and harboring a tummy ache from eating so much all day. If I turn off the TV, it's dead quiet. I can't even hear the wind. This is the most silent I've ever heard this neighborhood. Despite the lack of weather in Morningside Heights, everyone is inside, scared, glued to their TVs, afraid of the phantom 77 mph winds (that are clearly nonexistent here). If the line at the grocery store indicated anything, Morningside Heights is, I would say, the most well-prepared, least-Sandy-affected area in Manhattan. 
We all stocked up, bought out the local hardware stores' flashlight, battery, and candle supplies, and we got nothin'. I bet if this had been an evacuation area, you wouldn't find a soul staying back -with the way we all prepared here? No way. We all can't believe these poor schmucks who refused to heed flood warnings and evacuate. Up here? We expected the worst! All we got was a government-mandated movie-night.
 
Don't stone me for saying so, but I feel a little left out! This was supposed to be my night to accrue a great story! My own primary-source history account!
I'm going to go out for a walk to assess damage. A good 100 block walk. Because, you know... subways are down. 

1 comment:

  1. i can't wait to hear how you DID get to Times Square (and back again) and if your work conference call was made from lower Manhattan or the upper west side. no matter your insulation from Sandy, you still are affected (how to get to your new, as-yet unlivedin apartment in Brooklyn??!)and are indeed a first-person witness to history!*

    ReplyDelete