Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Right on Ebersgade or Eltsgade? Or was it Oesgade?



I spend the majority of my weekends wandering.
I think the thing I enjoy most about this city is, alone or with others, you can spend an entire day just biking around, and never experience a dearth of scenic parks, lakes, or cute sidewalk cafes.

Like this scene, taken at Nyhavn, probably the most tourist-y spot in all of Copenhagen, but I can't help it. I'm a sucker for postcard-perfect shots. And I know everyone who has been here has a photo just like this (all this one is missing is me posing, smiling in front of this ship), but really, it looks like it comes right out of a storybook. I can't help it. I'm sorry! When I turned down a street and found myself here (ok, maybe it was intentional), I about lost it. I think, however touristy, it is not the most breathtaking place in all of Copenhagen, but there is a reason it shows up in so many photo albums.

It also helps pass an entire Saturday on your bike when you are born with no internal compass, and find yourself severely lost more often than not. I've noticed a pattern. If you want to get anywhere, and you're directionally challenged (that's key!), you'll have to ask no fewer than 3 different people, who will all send you to find some street, spelled nothing like it sounds, in the exact opposite direction, and you will miss the street. Every time. No matter how slowly you bike, no matter how obsessively you search for street names, the street you're looking for is always missing signage. Or you're too busy oooh-ing and ahhh-ing at the adorable flower shops, or delicious looking bakeries, or the lust-worthy coat the girl on the bike in front of you is wearing to notice that you've passed your turn. I got seriously lost my first three days biking to work, once ending up about 15 minutes further away from work than I had started. Embarrassing.

And still, I never get upset getting so lost. I remember getting lost in my car in LA (pre-GPS days) and getting a little Hulk-y, because a wrong-turn means an extra hour of sitting in traffic. GRRRR! (See... Hulk-y)

Here, if you get lost, it just means you discover a new tea shop, or a nice place to read a book -when it's not raining, anyway. But good luck finding it again!

It also helps riding around, getting lost, when your bike is like buttah (that's right, Linda Richman. Barbara Streisand ain't got shit! Like buttah!). Sure, I get plenty of flack for my "fancy hipster bike", but it's pure jealousy! I just get to glide around the city, it's super agile, and when it starts to really pour, you better bet I can get home in nothing flat! It's not the top of the line frame, but considering bikes get stolen here so easily (especially flashy ones like that of yours truly), it's about as nice of a bike as I would ever get. Here, anyway. Everyone is waiting for it to get stolen, but when everyone else just locks their bikes to themselves (like locking the tire to the frame) with an easily-hacked lock, and I spend 10 minutes each time I go anywhere finding a pole or fence to lock my bike to, with my trusty kryptonite lock, I think I'll at least be able to keep my bike for another month, at least (oh please don't get stolen oh please don't get stolen! ** spits on finger twice**).

It's been nice getting so many compliments on it, though. My so-called friends may be giving me nonstop shit, but others seem to be a fans. I think my favorite compliment was paid by a really adorable old British woman. "Oh my!" She said. "Look how nice! Isn't that just lovely!" Say it in aloud in a British accent. I dare you to not be flattered by that.
Just today on the way to work, a cute Danish couple biking next to me rode up and called it "magnificent". I mean. It's not that good, but when everyone here rides near-identical looking city bikes, a track frame -especially a white one -really stands out.
Here's a fairly unflattering photo of me with my newest prized possession:

Let's hope I get to keep it for a while. It wouldn't be half as much fun getting lost without it.

1 comment:

  1. you had me smiling at the photo of Nyhaven (we have an ashtray or some stolen souvenir from the hotel we stayed in there in 1985!).
    and LOL'ing over your directionally challenged adventures (compliments of my side of the genetic pool - you're welcome!).
    hang tight to that bike, you with the ripped tights! Love, Momo*

    ReplyDelete